New Jersey Dreamers
Both Governor Phil Murphy and former Governor Chris Christie have contributed to the New Jersey Tuition Equality Act, also referred to as the “New Jersey Dream Act.” Please read the signed legislature for more information.
Eligibility Requirements for Dreamers:
The New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application allows NJ Dreamers enrolled in eligible New Jersey colleges and universities to apply for state financial aid.
Who should complete this application?
Complete the NJAFAA if you live in New Jersey, are not eligible to complete the FAFSA, and meet all of the following criteria:
- Attended a New Jersey high school for at least 3 years.
- Graduated from a New Jersey high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in New Jersey.
- Are able to file an affidavit stating that you have filed an application to legalize your immigration status or will file an application as soon as your are eligible to do so.
Applying for Financial Aid
NJ Dreamers may be eligible for New Jersey state financial aid if they complete the New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application. This includes the following programs: Tuition Aid Grant (TAG), Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) Grant, New Jersey Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship (NJSTARS) Programs, and Governor’s Urban Scholarship (GUS).
How to Apply:
- Create a login for the NJ Financial Aid Management System (NJFAMS), if you don’t already have an account.
- Access your NJFAMS account and complete the NJAFAA by choosing the applicable academic year under the Apply Online for New Jersey Financial Aid (NJ Dreamer Students only) drop down.
- NJ HESAA will contact you to request additional documentation through your NJFAMS account.
- Required documentation may include parent(s) Tax Return Transcripts and/or other income information.
- After your application is reviewed, you will receive notification regarding eligibility.
The State of New Jersey adheres to a strict deadline policy.
New Students and Non-Renewal Students
Frequently Asked Questions
Please click here for FAQs and additional guidance regarding NJ Dreamers and New Jersey state financial aid.