Rutgers University Diploma FAQS
The following rules apply to all graduates for the printing of names on diplomas:
- A graduate’s name as it appears on a Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey diploma must be a legal name documented in the University’s student records.
- Middle names may be complete, initialed, or omitted.
- First names may not be omitted, but the initial may be used if the full middle name is present.
- Last names must match RU names exactly.
- Suffixes such as Sr., Jr., II, etc., may be used if documented in University records.
- Maiden names may be used in conjunction with married names whether hyphenated or with the maiden name listed before the married mane so long as RU has legal documentation of both names.
- Shortened versions of a legal first name are not allowed such as “Rob” instead of “Robert.”
- Nicknames are not allowed without legal documentation; even if it is the name you go by.
- If you change your name due to marriage or divorce your new name may not be used without documentation that you have legally changed your name. Accepted documentation includes a copy of your current driver’s license, passport, or another federal/state identification card.
- If at any point a graduate legally changes their name and wishes to change the name printed on their diploma,they may request a replacement diploma, they may request a replacement diploma and provide legal documentation of the new name. The new diploma will then be printed with the new name. There is a $50 fee associated with each replacement diploma.
- Foreign characters are not acceptable.
- Diplomas damaged in shipping will be replaced free of charge provided The Office of the Registrar is notified within one year from the date the degree was conferred.
- It is the student’s responsibility to make sure an accurate address is on file for mailing the diploma. If the diploma is lost it is the student’s responsibility to pay the $50 replacement fee.
- We will keep 2 years of diplomas. If the student doesn’t pick up the diploma by the established “deadlines” there will be a $50 replacement fee.