New Jersey Residency is determined by the following:

  • Individuals must reside within the state of New Jersey for at least one year immediately prior to enrollment. New Jersey Administrative Code 9A:5 -1.1and 9A5:-1.2
  • Dependent students are presumed to be residing in the state in which their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) reside. For further clarification to determine whether you are a dependent or an individual please see the New Jersey Administrative Code 9A:9-2.6

Residency Analysis Form Instructions (before completing make sure to read the Instructions for Completion):

The form must be completely filled out, signed, notarized and submitted with required supporting documentation to the appropriate registrar’s office.

Required Supporting Documents

Students seeking to reclassify their residency status via the Residency Analysis Form (RAF), must be Green Card holders or US citizens.

Exempt from this requirement are A, E, G, I visa holders and Political Asylees or Political Refugees.

Independent students are students that are 24 years old or older, or are Graduate students or married students.  Independent students submit supporting documentation for themselves.

Dependent students are  Undergraduate students  under 24 years old.  Dependent students submit documentation  for their parents.

  • A copy of your New Jersey Driver’s License
  • A copy of your New Jersey Vehicle Registration
  • A copy of your Voter Registration Card
  • Copies of your current Federal Income Tax returns
  • Copies of your current New Jersey State Income tax returns
  • Copies of non-resident Income Tax returns
  • If you are not a US Citizen please submit a copy of your Green Card
  • If you are a dependent please submit a copy of your parent’s Green Card
  • If you own your own home please submit a copy of your deed or property tax bills
  • If you rent please submit a copy of your lease or a notarized letter from your landlord indicating length of residency in the State of New Jersey

The University has the right to ask for additional documents as deemed necessary.

New Jersey Dream Act

Special categories of students under the Dream Act may be eligible for instate tuition if they meet both of the following criteria:

  • I have attended high school in New Jersey for three or more years.
  • I have graduated from a New Jersey high school or have attained the equivalent thereof, such as a High School Equivalency diploma, issued by the State of New Jersey Department of Education

H-1B Visa Dependents may be eligible for instate tuition if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • I am NOT a non-immigrant alien with a currently valid visa. (Non-immigrants, as defined by federal law, have been admitted to the United States temporarily and may have been granted one of the following visas: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P,Q, R, S, T, TN, TD, V, TROV, and NATO or any other non-immigrant visa).
  • I am a dependent of a parent or guardian who holds an H-1B Visa

New Jersey Tuition Equality for America’s Military (NJTEAM) Act

Students who are eligible for Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) or Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill may qualify for instate tuition rates.