Did You Know?
If you have been offered federal direct loans and/or Perkins loans, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The MPN provides information regarding your responsibilities as a student loan borrowers.
If you and your parents are required to file a tax return, you must submit a signed and dated copy of the tax return filed with the IRS or an IRS tax return transcript. If you are not required to file, you must submit a non-filing statement to the Office of Financial Aid.
Please note a tax return transcript is not a photocopy of your 1040, 1040A, or 1040E. A tax return transcript can only be obtained directly from the IRS. Please enter your RUID number in the box for Customer File Number to help us identify your transcript.
Follow these steps in order to obtain a tax return transcript from the IRS.
- Contact the IRS directly at 1-800-908-9946 and order a tax return transcript by phone.
- Visit irs.gov, select “Get Your Tax Record” and then “Get Transcript Online” or “Get a Tax Transcript by Mail.” Be sure to select the appropriate tax year. For further assistance, read the frequently asked questions about getting a transcript online.
- Mail or fax the IRS Form 4506-T, and check box 6a to request a return transcript. Mail or fax to the address listed on page two of the IRS Form 4506-T.
- To expedite this process, you can bring the completed IRS Form 4506-T to the nearest IRS office.
What If I Didn’t File a Tax Return?
If you are an independent student or a parent of a dependent student and did not file a tax return, you must receive proof from the IRS that you or your parents have not filed and are not required to file. You will then submit the IRS response to the Office of Financial Aid. Follow these steps:
- Complete the IRS Form 4506-T and check box 7 to request a verification of non-filing. Mail or fax to the address listed on page two of the IRS Form 4506-T. Do not submit this form to the Office of Financial Aid.
- If you or your parents have not filed federal tax returns, you will receive documentation to prove your non-filing status, which you will be asked to submit to your regional Office of Financial Aid.
If you are a dependent student who did not file a tax return and are not required to do so, you need to complete the Non-Tax Filers form and attach copies of any W-2 forms you received from your employers, if any.
If you have attempted to obtain the verification of non-filing, but have not been successful, you should submit a signed statement indicating that you attempted to obtain the verification of non-filing, but were unable to obtain the required documentation. You will need to complete our internal verification of non-filing if you were not required to file. We will also need a copy of all of your W-2 forms.