The 2024-2025 FAFSA is available!
If you plan on
during the 2024-2025
complete the FAFSA by March 15, 2024 to
apply for financial aid.
Professional Judgment Request (Formerly Change in Family Circumstances)
Some students and families experience changes in their households that may impact their ability to contribute to educational expenses. For students who have changes that are not already reflected on their FAFSA, submitting a Professional Judgment (PJ) Request Form (Formerly known as Change in Family Circumstances [CIFC] form) will allow us to address those issues and decide if a change in eligibility is warranted. A form for the academic year in which you wish to appeal for additional aid must be completed and submitted for review. Additional documentation will be requested in order for the form to be reviewed.
Complete the 2023-2024 PJ Request Form if you are appealing your financial aid awards from September 2023-June 2024.
For assistance, please see the Professional Judgment Quick Guide.
Changes for Special or Unusual Circumstances
Under the new simplified FAFSA, financial aid administrators at colleges must let families know that students who apply for aid can pursue adjustments based on their family and financial circumstances. This process is known as professional judgment. In certain circumstances, it can extend to declared disasters, emergencies or economic downturns.
- If you have not yet accepted your admission offer, we will not review your appeal until you have notified Rutgers of your intention to enroll. Therefore, please inform the Office of Financial Aid promptly when your admission status changes.
- If you are submitting a PJ Request Form, please visit the myRutgers portal 24 hours after submitting your form and check the financial aid widget for additional required documentation. Your request cannot be reviewed until all requested documentation has been submitted.
- Please allow at least 4-6 weeks for a financial aid officer to review your file during peak processing time (July and August). After all information has been received and reviewed, the student will be notified by email of the results.
- Review of documents, letters, emails, and other communications is processed in the order in which they are received. Please promptly return your documents.
- Submission of a PJ Request Form does not guarantee additional funds. This process does not release students from adhering to the term bill requirements.
- If based on your FAFSA you are considered a dependent student but feel that you have unusual circumstances that need to be considered, you may submit a Professional Judgment Request for a dependency override. For more information, visit the dependency override page.